Tuesday, December 30, 2008

So I didn't make it...

Well I didn't make the magic 52 books in a year mark. I could have, but I found myself counting pages, and looking at the size of books, and wondering if I read 5 of Shakespeare's plays in a weekend whether that would count or not. That wasn't the goal of this whole adventure, so I took a step back, and read what I wanted to read. This however turned out to mean that I started another 10 or 15 books and never finished them. I read much more widely perhaps, but with less depth. So I find myself reading Proust, The Oxford Shakespeare - The Complete Sonnets and Poems, Small Is Beautiful by E.F. Schumacher, some Popper, a collection of Rilke Poems, re-reading The Odyssey, a selection of Shakespeare's plays, some of Aristotle's works and the list goes on.

A few people have commented here or emailed me privately while I was doing this, and I didn't expect that either. That was a nice touch.

The plan for next year (starting in 2 days time) is to read 100+ books in a year, with one important distinction - I'm not going to count them (well I might, but I won't be fanatical about it). It's just going to be a voracious quest for knowledge swamped by a torrent of words and a symphony of ideas. The idea of 'number' has shown itself to be entirely too complex :)

Thanks for reading the blog, and with this final post, Adieu.

[Exeunt]

No comments: