Tuesday, January 8, 2008

1. First Love & Other Sorrows - Harold Brodkey

Ok - so "Against the Day" didn't quite make the first book of 2008. I'm not overly impressed with Pynchon's writing and a good friend of mine lent me some Brodkey and that seemed like the thing to do. So "First Love & Other Sorrows" sits beside me read, and thoroughly enjoyed.

This is an early Brodkey - in fact his first published book, so I'm reserving my judgement until I've read the other work of his lent to me at the same time - "Profane Friendship". I'll say this though, there were a good number of gems in there, and a few "fuck off" moments, but the thing that's jiving with me is the way he describes relationships, especially the internal struggles, those deeply interpersonal awkward moments between friends and lovers. That is most impressive - the guy is deep. Gotta get me some more of that stuff.

Great book. On to no. 2 - "Profane Friendship" by Harold Brodkey.

No comments: